- Facts about the knee replacement you've never known
- Surgery step-by-step
- Recovery after the knee replacement
- Price factors | Total, partial, bilateral and MAKOplasty knee replacement cost
- Affordable and safe knee replacement with Bookimed
Compare the laparoscopic knee replacement cost over the world*
|Israel||South Korea||Russian Federation||UAE||Thailand||Turkey||India||Kazakhstan|
* All the knee replacement surgery prices given in the tables above are approximate. They mainly depend on the exchange rate and may be changed. Check how much does a knee replacement cost in your particular case with Bookimed medical doctor.
Compare the laparoscopic knee replacement cost in Europe**
** Pay attention that the official currency in European countries is euro. That’s why you will have to pay for the procedure in euro. We’ve converted the knee replacement surgery costs in dollars according to the current exchange rate, so you’ll be more comfortable to compare it.
Compare how much does a knee replacement cost applying robotic method***
*** The knee replacement surgery prices vary depending on an applied method. The robotic-assisted surgery cost is higher than the laparoscopic one.
Don’t you know what method and hospital to choose? And do you want to know more about what affects the knee replacement cost? Learn more information in the article below.
Knee replacement is a surgery when an orthopedist removes damaged cartilage or bone parts and changes it with endoprosthesis or implant (artificial knee joint).
Knee replacement aims renew patients’ knee functions and return them to the normal life without pain. For people with knee diseases and injuries, the knee replacement surgery is the only option to recover from severe pain, inflammatory conditions, and start to live a healthy life.
10 key facts about the knee replacement you’ve never known
- Orthopedists perform the cemental (for over 65-aged people) and cementless (for people younger than 65 years) knee replacements.
- 97% of people who need the knee replacement suffer from osteoarthritis.
- Women undergo the surgery more often than men.
- The knee replacement surgery is recognized as one of the safest. Risk of the complications after the procedure is low — only 1 case out of 100.
- The result after the knee replacement lasts 15-25 years depending on the implant quality.
- Over 90% of patients are satisfied with the knee replacement results and feel much less pain after the procedure.
- The most suitable age for this surgery is 55-85. Nevertheless, young people also may undergo the procedure.
- Your body mass index (BMI) should be 30 on average. The knee replacement is less effective for obese people.
- The knee replacement is included into the list of 15 most common surgical procedures in the world.
- According to the latest investigations, the number of knee replacements will increase up to 600% by 2030. This means nothing else but development of new treatment approaches, implants, and techniques.
Surgery process according to knee replacement type
There are 2 types of the knee replacement surgery:
- Total or full knee replacement is a kind of orthopedic surgery when a specialist removes and changes the whole cartilage with the endoprosthesis.
- Partial or unicompartmental knee replacement surgery is a type of orthopedic surgical intervention to remove and change only a part of the damaged cartilage with the knee implant.
- Bilateral is a type of the procedure when an orthopedist makes the replacement of both knees simultaneously.
Depending on the knee replacement type, the procedure lasts for 1-2 hours. Orthopedists perform the knee replacement surgery of all three kinds under general anesthesia.
Regardless of the knee replacement type, the procedure is divided into 7 steps:
- A surgeon checks the vital signs, heart rate, blood pressure and body temperature of a patient. Then a patient receives anesthesia.
- The orthopedists prefer minimally invasive knee replacement and make small incisions down the center of the knee. They remove tissues to access the thighbone and shinbone. Minimal scars and absence of severe complications are the main advantages of minimally invasive knee replacement surgery.
- The knee replacement surgeons use computer assistance to make an accurate cut, because each bone must exactly fit its prosthesis.
- A doctor attaches components of the prosthesis to the femur and tibia. The depth of connecting the implants depends on the type of artificial material (bone cement).
- After that, the surgeons attach flexible polyethylene cushion on the top of the new tibia surface to absorb new prosthetic surfaces.
- Specialists flex and extend the leg to check the movement of the new prosthesis. Then they straighten the leg to make the bone, cement and prosthesis bond together.
- A surgeon sews up the incisions.
What to expect after the surgery? Postoperative period
1 day. A patient is in an intensive care unit, where s/he takes analgesics, undergoes antibacterial therapy, and receives symptomatic treatment.
2 day. A patient moves to the orthopedics and traumatology department of a hospital. S/he may sit down on the bed and do minimal physical exercises, which are very important to prevent possible complications.
3-6 days. A patient gets out of the bed but makes the main weight bearing on the healthy leg. Usually, a patient uses crutches or special walkers.
7-10 days. An orthopedist takes out stitches and discharges a patient from a hospital. A patient starts to undergo the rehabilitation program.
Rehabilitation period after the knee replacement
After the knee replacements, recovery period lasts 3-6 months. A patient has the pain syndrome for the first few days after the surgery. Follow recommendations of an orthopedist to avoid long-lasting pain and prolong the prosthesis lifespan.
During 1-3 months after the knee arthroplasty, a patient uses walker or crutches to avoid injuries and repeated surgery. Then patients start to walk on their feet without additional facilities.
Experts perform a repeated knee replacement surgery only after completely prosthesis tearing. If a patient follows all prescriptions of an orthopedist, the procedure is repeated approximately 30 years after the first knee replacement.
After the surgery, a patient should exclude heavy physical activity, avoid traumas and do not go in for football, basketball or running.
Rehabilitation program usually includes:
- physiotherapeutic procedures
- taking analgesic medications (if necessary)
- movement therapy
- taking vitamins and minerals.
Get an individual knee replacement program
How much does a knee replacement cost?
Basic knee replacement cost*
Admission and knee replacement surgery:
Postoperative period:outpatient follow-up equipment used during the physical therapy.
Additional knee replacement price
*Most of the hospitals usually provide patients with free transfer from/to an airport.
What affects the knee replacement cost?
- Number of in-hospital days. Depending on the operation type (total, partial or bilateral knee replacement) a patient stays in a hospital for a different number of days.
- Type of the implant. The implants are made of the materials different in quality that affects the knee implant cost. High-quality implants are 2-3 times more expensive. Choosing prosthesis of the excellent quality, you increase their lifespan up to 15 years. So, average warranty of the knee replacement may reach 35 years. You will never achieve such effect with the implants of low quality, but the knee replacement prosthesis cost will be also lower.
- Surgical approach. The use of different surgical instruments and technologies causes different private knee replacement costs.
- Patient’s disorder severity. Some of patients have other diseases related to their knee pathology. In this case, orthopedists treat not only the disorder, but also complications caused by it. That’s why the procedure is more complicated and leads to the raising of the knee replacement cost.
- Complications. In case of complications, a patient needs an additional medical care. But it may increase the knee replacement cost in several times.
- Hospital’s location. The knee joint replacement cost varies in different countries and even within the territory of the same country. It depends on the average income of citizens and price policy within the country or city.
How much does a total knee replacement cost?
90% of people, who undergo the total (full) knee replacement, have a severe pain before the procedure and hardly bear it when sitting or walking. This type of the procedure is the only treatment option for them. The full knee replacement is considered as one of the safest operations.
During the procedure, a surgeon removes the damaged part of the thighbone, shinbone, and cartilage. The thigh bone is replaced with a metal implant and the shinbone — with a plastic one. Different materials of the implant and complexity of the operation affect the total knee replacement cost dramatically.
However, the total knee replacement cost may vary. It depends on whether a patient has some knee-related disorders or not. Usually, patients with the knee-related diseases have longer in-hospital stay and recovery period.
Partial knee replacement cost
Only a part of your damaged knee is replaced during the operation. It reduces the blood loss during the surgery and risk of complications after the procedure. Compared to the full knee replacement, this type of the surgery is less complicated and needs less implant materials. The recovery and rehab periods are shorter after the surgery. These factors reduce the partial knee replacement cost.
Bilateral knee replacement cost
During the procedure, orthopedists replace the both knees at the same time. The operation is not complicated, but recovery and rehab periods last for a long time. Usually, you need the additional assistance during recovery. Support supplies and increased medical care boost the bilateral knee replacement cost.
Knee replacement cost with MAKOplasty technique
MAKOplasty is a robot-assisted surgery. The robot chooses the most suitable implant for the body structure. The surgery is minimally invasive. It helps to remove damaged tissues and preserve the healthy ones.
The device is approved by FDA, the Food and Drugs Administration. However, MAKOplasty device is available only in a few hospitals around the world.
The MAKOplasty knee replacement cost is higher than for the traditional low traumatic (so-called laparoscopic) one because of the technical advance of the procedure and special skills of a surgeon.
The lowest MAKOplasty knee replacement price is offered by Turkey.
What do you pay for?
Laparoscopic knee replacement
MAKOplasty knee replacement
More accurate than laparoscopic
Less blood loss
Special doctor’s skills are needed
Simple way to save your money
Choose the hospitals for the knee replacement surgery overseas. You may save 50-80% undergoing your treatment in India, Turkey or Thailand. Medical facilities here have a global recognition and comply with strict international treatment standards.
Knee replacement with Bookimed
Bookimed International Patients Support Center is an independent platform to search for the best treatment options over the globe.
Bookimed services are free for patients. You pay for your treatment directly in the hospital.
Submit a request on Bookimed website and share your problem with our medical doctors. You will receive:
- complete info on the best hospitals and doctors
- exact treatment program and the knee replacement cost in your particular case
- hospitals’ success rates
- the best method of the surgery according to your disease
- safety and confidence during your therapy.
Submit a request
Reasons for knee replacement surgery
Knee diseases can occur in old and young age. But people in age over 65 face problems with the knees much more often.
Common reasons for knee replacements:
- genetic predisposition
- the post-climactic period in women
- traumas and injuries in athletes
- tobacco products
- fatty foods.
If the knee joint is healthy, the functions of muscles and ligaments of the joint are balanced. Smooth cartilage provides unobstructed sliding of bones to each other.
With pathological changes in the joint, people feel a severe pain and lack of efficacy of conservative treatment. In this case, orthopedists apply knee replacement procedures.
The most frequent indications for knee replacement surgery are such conditions/diseases as:
- arthrosis of the knee joint (gonarthrosis, posttraumatic arthrosis)
- rheumatoid arthritis
- damage of the ligamentous apparatus of the knee joint with changes in the surfaces of the bones
- aseptic or avascular necrosis
- bone tumors, etc.
5 most frequently asked questions about the knee replacement
When is it better to undergo the knee replacement surgery?
- You should visit a doctor and schedule the operation if the medicamentous therapy doesn’t work anymore, you feel severe pain, or movements of your legs are limited.
What’s on the bill for the knee replacement?
- A lot of hospitals offer the knee replacement packages. The average package usually includes transfer from/to an airport, preparation for the surgery, the knee replacement operation, postsurgical period, in-hospital stay, and meals. To learn more about what affects the knee replacement cost, read in the article above.
What does the recovery period after the knee replacement include?
- In the most cases, you are able to stand and walk slowly the next day after the procedure. During this period you undergo physical and occupational therapy to develop the leg movements.
- You spend most of the recovery period at home. After the total knee replacement, it takes from 12 weeks to 6 months.
How long do results of the knee replacement last?
- The average lifespan of the knee implants is 15-20 years. But if you follow all doctors’ recommendations, you may prolong it up to 30 years.
What method for the knee replacement is better: laparoscopic or robotic?
- It depends on patient’s health condition and disease development. If you need the total knee replacement, choose the robotic surgery. There are no complications after the robot-assisted procedure, so your recovery period will be shorter by several times.