Klinikum Bremen-Ost is one of 4 hospitals forming the medical network of Gesundheit Nord (Nord Klinik Allianz). Annually, the specialists of the network treat over 250,000 patients from Germany and abroad.
Bremen-Ost Hospital was founded in 1904. It includes 12 departments and 2 specialized centers — for lung treatment and for psychosocial medicine.
The hospital is 10 km away from the city center and 13 km away from the international airport.
ADVANTAGES OF BREMEN-OST
- It is a leading pulmonary center in Germany. The Bremen-Ost Lung Center is certified by the German Cancer Society for all the necessary diagnostic/therapeutic equipment and medical team with 10+ years of practical experience.
- Leading experts. Bremen-Ost doctors are regularly included in the lists of top specialists of the country. In 2018, Focus magazine has recognized Professor Dieter Ukena, the Head of the Pulmonary Center as one of the best doctors in Germany for the treatment of cancer and emphysema of the lungs.
- International Patients Support Department. The employees of the Department assist patients in receiving required medical services, including logistics and translating support.
BREMEN-OST IN FIGURES
AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
In 2008, the hospital has received the certification for compliance with Transparency and Quality in Healthcare. The standards include 24/7 patient care, the safety of procedures, updating skills of medical staff.
Ranked among Top 100 best hospitals in Germany in 2015-2016
The medical network of the Gesundheit Nord-Klinikverbund Bremen was included in the list of 100 best clinics according to Focus edition. It takes into account the success rates of the treatment, patients’ reviews, up-to-date medical equipment, and high qualification of doctors.
The Bremen-Ost Pulmonary Center is among first certified lung treatment centers in Germany. In 2009, it was certified by the German Cancer Society to treat lung cancer patients.
The Department's team includes experts from various specialties: thoracic surgeons, pulmonologists, radiotherapists, radiologists, pathologists (for the examination of lung tissue samples) and psychologists.
Open and minimally invasive lung surgeries
Physicians of the Center perform all types of operations on the lungs, trachea, bronchi, chest wall and diaphragm.
According to the hospital’s statistics, 65% of inpatient and 90% of outpatient interventions are carried out using the VATS minimally invasive technology.
VATS — Video-assisted thoracic surgery is provided through 2-3 small incisions under control of a mini-camera. A patient recovers several times faster after VATS than after an open operation, when the patient’s chest is opened.
Minimally invasive operations performed by Bremen-Ost surgeons:
- removal of lymph nodes (in the sternum area)
- cysts removal
- resection of the lung part if lung cancer
- partial or complete removal of the lung pleura
- treatment of pleural effusions (fluid accumulation)
- removal of lung metastases
- surgical treatment of the lungs in children.
Classic open surgeries are performed at Bremen-Ost if a patient has:
- lung cancer with complications
- pleura cancer
- chest wall tumors
- lung metastases
- pediatric lung diseases.
Doctors specialize in the diagnostics and treatment of neurological diseases, early neurorehabilitation. Patients of the Department are treated of:
- infectious diseases of the central nervous system as meningitis, encephalitis
- inflammatory autoimmune diseases as multiple sclerosis, vasculitis
- Parkinson's disease
The Department has 85 beds for patients.
Early neurological rehabilitation
The Rehabilitation Unit has been operating since 1998. Patients are treated after a stroke, hemorrhage in the brain, brain injuries and severe neurological diseases as Guillain-Barré syndrome. All patients are 24/7 looked after due to beds with a life-support monitoring system.
The treatment is carried out by a medical team consisted of a physical therapist, a speech therapist, a neuropsychologist. There is a trained therapy dog in the Department. Communication with the dog helps patients to show interest to the world and relieves nervous tension.
Methods of neurological rehabilitation:
- Bobath therapy is a type of rehabilitation, which consists of physical therapy, stretching, massage. Due to Bobath therapy, a patient gets rid of the increased muscle tone and can keep standing position without support.
- Basal stimulation is a set of training exercises that help patients realize themselves as individuals. The therapy allows reducing the number of fears and complexes, to teach how to behave in society and to communicate with people.
- Kinesthetic learning is a set of exercises that are aimed at restoring motor skills that were lost during the period of the disease.
SERVICES FOR INTERNATIONAL PATIENTS
- Airport-hotel-airport transfer
- Full-board accommodation including hospital's menu
- Medical translation if required
- Patient's coordination by hospital's employee
Other hospitals of Gesundheit Nord-Klinikverbund Bremen: