I was impressed by the futuristic technologies and that the procedure was painless. Each member of my treating team was kind and did their best to make me feel comfortable. Thank you a lot!
Proton Therapy Center
About Proton Therapy Center
The Proton Therapy Center Prague is the largest сenter for proton beam therapy in Europe receiving foreigners from all over the world. The Center is specialized in the most advanced method of cancer treatment - proton beam therapy - using state-of-the-art technologies and international standards.
Your trust is our top concern, so these reviews are from real people like you. We collect feedback only from our customers after getting medical services in the facility booked via Bookimed.com.
We publish both positive and negative reviews for you to make the best choice. Each review is moderated for compliance with Reviews & Comments Policy.
1 positive review on treatment in Proton Therapy Center
Why do patients choose the Proton Therapy Center Prague?
- one of the largest in Europe and one of the most modern in the world proton therapy center;
- applies the proton beam technology of Ion Beam Applications - one of the worldwide leaders of radiology equipment provider;
- certified by SAKCR (Czech United Accreditation Commission) for the conformance to the standards of high quality and safe medical services in the Czech Republic.
The Proton Therapy Center in Prague (Protonova Klinika) is a worldwide renown provider of proton beam therapy. The Czech Proton Therapy Center was founded in 2012 in cooperation with the Medical Faculty at Charles University and the Nuclear Sciences Faculty at Czech Technical University. For the first 3 years of functioning the Center received 780 patients (in comparison with the Polish Center, which took 128 patients for the same period of time).
Nowadays the Proton Therapy Center in Prague treats approx. 2,500 patients annually.
Proton beam therapy peculiarities at the PTC in the Czech Republic
Nowadays proton beam therapy is considered as the most advanced and safe method for cancer treatment both for adults and children. It affects only tumor/tumor cells, not damaging normal tissues. Proton beam therapy has minimum side effects, low complications risks and high results.
At the Czech Proton Therapy Center radiation therapies vary from 5 to 40 sessions in accordance with the patient’s diagnosis. While the procedure is conducted once a day, the hospitalization at the Center is optional. One session of proton beam therapy lasts not longer 60 minutes. The whole course of treatment at the Center takes from 2 to 8 weeks.
The only exception for hospital stay is for children. Moreover, the proton beam therapy in children is performed under anesthesia, as they are very active and cannot stay immovable for a long time.
Child's ward at the PTC
Indications for treatment at the Prague Proton Therapy Center
The Proton Therapy Center receives patients with:
- lung tumors
- head/neck cancers
- breast cancer
- prostate cancer
- eye tumors
- pelvis tumors
- brain cancer
- pancreas tumors and abdominal cancer
- children with above mentioned diagnoses.
Costs for diagnostics at PTC
- MRI starts from €650;
- CT starts from €250;
- PET-CT starts from €2,000 (depending from the type of the procedure and contrast agent).
Proton Therapy Center technologies
The Proton Therapy Center Czech is equipped with the advanced diagnostic apparatus of Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), Computed Tomography (CT) and Computed Tomography with Positron Emission Tomography (PET-CT) of the last generation and innovative system of Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT).
MRI, CT and PET-CT images allow doctors to form a program for proton radiation treatment.
Diagnostic room at Czech Proton Therapy Center
The Center has 5 specialized rooms for proton treatment:
- 3 rooms are equipped with moving beam (gantry system) - beam irradiates a tumor from different angles while a patient remains fixed to the treatment table. The procedure is provided with constant monitoring of the positions of a patient and tumor.
- 1 room is equipped with a fixed beam - beam irradiates a tumor of a patient who is fixed on the special PatLog treatment table under robot guidance.
- 1 room is specialized in eye tumors proton radiating - targeting beam (pencil beam) treats eye disorders. Patients are fixed in a specialized chair which enables any movings of the patient’s head.
Patients are moved to the treatment rooms by the advanced automatic transport system PatLog™ that is kind of trolley.
Gantry system at the Proton Therapy Center in Prague
Additional services for foreigners at the Czech Proton Therapy Center
For international patients are available:
- Guiding coordinator
- English speaking personnel
- Management of medical documents, documents translation and visas.