Starting from 1994 Samsung Hospital in Seoul has created a new concept of medical institution in Korea, consisting of general hospital, specialized centers, laboratories and research units. It has a special status of “Hospital of presidential standards” and has been awarded as Top Medical Center 12 times consecutively. Qualitative medical services of Samsung Hospital has won the 1st place in Customer Satisfaction and Quality Indexes of Korea. SMC is continuously growing and developing. Besides general clinic, there are specialized centers: Samsung Comprehensive Cancer Center, Institute of Heart Vascular Stroke and other narrow specialized centers (gastrointestinal, spine, organ transplantation etc.).
Features of Samsung Medical Center
- The most comprehensive cancer center in Asia
- Over 45,000 surgeries per year
- Applies proton beam therapy
- Concludes clinical trials at the base of Research Institute for Future Medicine
- Was awarded as Top Medical Center 12 times consecutively
Samsung Comprehensive Cancer Center
It is the largest cancer center in Asia that provides the most comprehensive medical care. The biggest inpatient oncological department in Korea has 78 beds and uses advanced treatment technologies - Novalis, IMGRT (image-guided radiation therapy), Da Vinci surgical system. The Center comprises 17 departments that works with particular type of cancer (lung, colorectal, gastric, breast cancer etc.). Samsung Cancer Center has treated over 50,000 patients since its opening. In 2016, a Proton Center was constructed and introduced proton beam therapy.
Samsung Institute of Heart Vascular Stroke
The Institute works as integrated complex center comprising of Cardiac, Vascular, Diagnostic, Prevention and Rehabilitation Centers. It also cooperates with general department of Samsung Hospital and has partnership with the Mayo Clinic in the USA. The Institute provides complex diagnostic and treatment procedure for cardiac patients: radio frequency catheter ablation with 3D imaging equipment, installation of artificial pacemaker, cardiac resynchronization implantation, direct current cardioversion etc.
Modern technological base of the Hospital
In the hospital an innovative integrated system operates, which includes:
- System Messages for the prescription of recipes that combines together the entire medical staff and doctors, inspection offices, pharmacies and all the departments for safety.
- The electronic medical record (EMR).
- Communications systems, archiving, and broadcasting images - the system is based on the transmission of diagnostic X-ray images, CT and MRI in real time, allowing the medical staff make an accurate diagnosis quickly, without the inconvenience of transferring the negatives.
- The system of referral services for patients, which informs doctors of clinics for patients. There are also online forums for the exchange of ideas and thoughts, the latest news of the medical community between Samsung hospital staff .
- Developed mobile hospital for staff, which provides quick access to information.
Samsung Clinic facts and statistics as of 2015:
- over 2 million outpatients and 85 thousand inpatients
- 45,800 surgeries
- 2,457 research projects
- approx. 1,400 doctors
You may receive consultations and take diagnostic or treatment course at Samsung Medical Center through referring to Bookimed International Patient Support Center.