See the best stomach cancer hospitals in the world listed below. The ranking is based on patients’ reviews, treatment effectiveness, and price-quality ratio. Patients from the USA and the UK pick medical centers presented below due to the following reasons:
High success rate. The American Cancer Society reports that 70% is a 5-year survival rate for patients with stomach cancer — 90 out of 100 people recover. Doctors use HIPEC (Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy), innovative immunotherapy, targeted and combined therapies to treat gastric cancer of 3-4 stages.
Advanced medical equipment. Specialists from the hospitals below use 1.5-3 Tesla MRI, virtual endoscopy to establish an accurate diagnosis. Stomach cancer treatment centers use the Da Vinci robotic system to perform a surgery with minimal damage. TrueBeam STx device for radiotherapy accurately affects a tumor without damage to healthy tissues.
Minimally invasive surgeries. Most clinics mentioned below apply techniques with minimal injury rate to treat malignant stomach tumors at early stages. It helps to reduce pain, avoid scars, and boost recovery.
Submit a request on Bookimed and our medical doctor will answer all the questions regarding your case. We will help you to find the best hospital for stomach cancer! This option is free.
Top factors to choose stomach cancer treatment center
To pick one of the best stomach cancer treatment hospitals, pay attention to the following tips:
- Hospitals accreditation. World-class medical facilities have multiple certificates for a high level of medical services.
- Specialist’s experience. Be sure a chosen doctor specializes in your case and has a huge experience in stomach cancer treatment. Check doctors’ CV on our website. A good specialist has a lot of positive reviews.
- Success rate. Some medical centers may provide their statistics in patients treatment. Find whether is a success rate in your cases.
- Medical equipment. All hospitals have advanced medical equipment as the da Vinci Robotic System.
- Patients’ reviews. Read all reviews of people who have already undergone treatment in a hospital you are interested in.
What options are used in the best stomach cancer treatment centers?
Surgical intervention is performed for patients with stomach cancer stages 1-3. In top stomach cancer hospitals, specialists carry out the following types of surgeries:
- Endoscopic submucosal dissection. The removal of a tumor located in the mucosa of the stomach. The procedure is performed through small incisions.
- Gastrectomy. A doctor may perform laparoscopic or open procedure depending on a stomach cancer stage. Gastrectomy can be partial or total one. Such a surgery is indicated when a tumor is located in the upper part of the stomach or when cancer spreads to other organs.
- Partial gastric resection. Surgery is performed when a gastric tumor is located in the lower part of the stomach.
Chemotherapy. Specialists indicate chemo drugs to reduce a tumor before an operation. Chemotherapy after surgery destroys cancer cells and prevents the relapse. For advanced stages, chemo is used to suppress the symptoms and improve the patient’s quality of life.
Radiotherapy. Doctors at stomach cancer treatment centers provide radiotherapy before surgery to reduce the tumor size. After the operation, radiotherapy is carried out to destroy the rest of the malignant cells.
HIPEC (“hot chemotherapy”). Such type of chemo is provided for refractory stomach cancer with metastasis in the abdomen. During HIPEC, a doctor uses drugs heated to 42°C. Due to high temperature, chemo penetrates the damaged tissues and destroys more cancer cells than conventional chemotherapy.
Immunotherapy. When traditional options do not work, doctors prescribe immunotherapy which boosts the patient’s immunity to kill cancer cells. Such a treatment does not cause severe side effects.
Targeted therapy. Such drugs block the growth and dividing of the cancer cells without damaging healthy ones. This therapy is used if diagnostics have shown the genetic mutation of a tumor.
Who is the best stomach cancer doctor?
Bookimed has composed the rating of the top 3 best stomach cancer specialists. It is based on our expertise, doctors’ professionalism, and patient reviews:
- Prof. Dr. Antonio de Lacy Fortuny is a surgical oncologist with over 30 years of experience. The professor specializes in minimally-invasive techniques for stomach cancer treatment. Dr. de Lacy Fortuny is the pioneer in the method of transluminal endoscopic surgery (NOTES), access to the abdominal cavity through natural openings that is less-traumatic than open surgery. Dr. de Lacy Fortuny is an expert in removing metastatic from the abdomen.
- Dr. Ron Grinberg is a surgical oncologist with over 12 years of experience in treating stomach cancer patients. The doctor provides laparoscopic treatment which is performed through small incisions — it does not cause severe postoperative complications and does not leave big scars compared to open surgery. Dr. Grinberg had training across Europe — in Italian and Austrian medical institutions. The doctor specializes in HIPEC procedure delivering chemo drugs into the abdomen cavity to destroy cancer cells.
- Prof. Metin Chakmakchi is a surgical oncologist with decades of experience in stomach cancer treatment. The professor cooperates with American specialists including colleagues from the Johns Hopkins Hospital. Prof. Chakmakchi is a member of the American College of Surgeons. Prof. Chakmakchi performs minimally-invasive operations through small incisions in patients with stomach cancer.
To get a consultation with the best oncologist for stomach cancer, submit a request on Bookimed and our manager will answer all your questions.
What is the success rate after stomach cancer treatment?
If a medical oncologist has made an accurate treatment plan, a survival rate after treatment is about 70% (if the disease is detected at early stages).
How long does stomach cancer treatment last?
- Surgery — from 4 days to 2 weeks (including hospital stay)
- Chemotherapy — to 5 months
- Radiotherapy — to 1-2 months
What does stomach cancer treatment cost include?
- surgery price
- additional therapies (targeted therapy, immunotherapy)
- hospital stay
- doctor’s fee.
Get your personal cost estimate — submit a request on our website. This option is free.
3 best places for stomach cancer treatment
Medical centers in Turkey provide the latest diagnostics and treatment methods for stomach cancer. Most hospitals apply CyberKnife M6 for radiosurgery and TrueBeam Edge for radiation therapy. Turkish clinics have numerous certificates from world-class organizations as JCI (Joint Commission International), ESMO (the European Society for Medical Oncology), etc.
Clinics in Germany are the most technologically advanced in the world. The hospitals apply the latest therapies as immunotherapy and targeted therapy that decrease side effects rate and improve patients’ quality of life. 99% is a success rate of stomach tumors removals according to the hospitals' data.
Most Israeli hospitals apply advanced medical equipment as the da Vinci Robotic device to remove stomach cancer through small incisions. It prevents scarring and risk of infections. After such surgeries stomach cancer patients recover faster. Specialists at Israeli clinics provide innovative immunotherapy, which boosts a patient’s immune system to affect cancer cells by itself.
FAQs about stomach cancer treatment
- Radiotherapy VS chemotherapy: what is more effective for stomach cancer?
Medical doctors apply the most appropriate method of treatment according to the results of complex diagnostics. Only your doctor can decide if you need such options. Depending on your case, a medical doctor may prescribe a combination of chemo- and radiation treatments.
- Should I be treated with immunotherapy?
Medical oncologists prescribe immunotherapy if standard treatments do not work. Such a therapy has less severe side effects than traditional chemo. You should undergo some tests to be sure you meet immunotherapy requirements.
- What is my chance for recovery?
It depends on stomach cancer stage and your general health condition. According to the American Cancer Society, 80-90% is a 5-year survival rate for 0-1 stages, 60% — for the 2nd stage, and 20-30% — for 3-4 stages.
- Is stomach cancer stage 4 curable?
Specialists apply palliative treatment to reduce stomach cancer symptoms. It includes chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
- Is a language assistance available in the hospital?
Most hospitals listed below provide an interpreter or coordinator from the International Department who assists you during consultations with a doctor and other medical staff.
Have some other questions? Submit a request on Bookimed to get a FREE consultation — our manager will provide you with all necessary info. See below how to arrange a trip to the best treatment center for stomach cancer.
How to get stomach cancer treatment with Bookimed?
If you want to receive stomach cancer treatment, do the following actions:
- Submit a request on our website. Our medical coordinator will contact you shortly.
- Ask anything about stomach cancer treatment. Bookimed manager will give you all the details about any hospital: costs, diagnostics, treatment methods, best specialists, etc.
- If you pick one of the stomach cancer treatment centers, please, send us your medical records. Our manager sends them to a chosen hospital to get all information about your further treatment.
- After that, you get a direct bill and can pack your luggage for a medical trip.
Bookimed manager will support you 24/7 online up till the moment you return home.